Monday, February 23, 2009

Reflecting on My Sexual Harrassment Complaint

Since coming clean I have had some time to reflect on the whole mess.

Was I actually in the wrong here?

The answer is of course yes to a certain extent. I really shouldn't have been so sarcastic on the phone. I was a little irked at what I thought was an inappropriate consult at an inappropriate time. I still had a grudge against the burn unit which is where the call came from.

It could be argued that I should have come over and seen the patient. I was after all just across the street. Fact is, I really thought that ordering PCA in a trached and ventilated patient (probably already getting a fentanyl infusion) was safe if not completely necessary. This was what I had been doing for over 10 years. If our group had said, "we think every such consult request should be dealt with in person" and I knew everybody was making these evening trips back to the hospital I would have done the same.

But was this sexual harassment?

I don't think so. It was just the whole concept that because this complaint has been filed as a sexual harassment rather than a clinical concern that there is no possibility of successfully defending myself, bothered me.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Oh and by the way, after I left the CofE, their residency program was placed on the highest level of probation for....ongoing sexual harassment of female residents. Karma?

No comments: