Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Golden Rules

I found this blog post on facebook.

It made me think. When was the last time you saw a doctor getting heroic chemotherapy or having a "metastasectomy" or a tumour debulking. Or for that matter saw a doctor on a ventilator. Or having a redo CABG. Or attended a Code on a severely demented doctor with no DNR order.

My son took biomedical ethics course. No.... he is not in medical school, doctors don't take ethics courses but we did actually have some discussions about ethics. I have a little problem with ethics as it tends to be jargon focused but I thought about this and sad basically ethics comes back to the the Golden Rule: Treat others as you would treat yourself.

So the question is: why are we treating patients in a fashion that we would never ask for either for ourselves or our families?

Just asking.

No comments: