Thursday, November 21, 2013

If You Were Wondering Where I was on November 22, 1963.

It is really hard to believe it was 50 years ago.

I came home from school for lunch.  Our school was only a couple of blocks away from our house and so I walked home by myself at lunch and after school.  My mother who, like almost every mother on the block, didn't work always made lunch for my brothers and me.  I was in Grade I.  When I got home my mother told me that President Kennedy had been killed.  Although I was six and Canadian I sort of knew who he was.  We ate lunch and I went back to school.

Our teacher told us again that President Kennedy had been killed.  At about 2 o clock the principal came on the PA and told us that under the circumstances we should all go home early.  I don't remember being that happy about getting out early.

Later I remember watching the funeral.

Since then there have been many what ifs and conspiracy theories.

If you want a good what if, National Lampoon devoted a whole issue to it in 1977.

I suspect that JFK hadn't been assassinated, he probably would have won a second term during which time any honeymoon he may have had with the American voter might have ended and unfortunately we would had probably still ended up with Nixon, Reagan and the Bushes in the future.

Likewise I have read or heard all the conspiracy theories.   It seems I can't turn on History or Discovery channel lately without seeing another one.  Maybe I am fatigued by everything but I have come to believe that you had a serious nutcase Oswald, who just got off a lucky shot and maybe Jack Ruby was just really pissed off that the President died.  Maybe that is what they want me to believe.

Shouldn't have happened.  

No comments: